AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

BIG AL'S

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: BIG AL'S

Post by SPIKE426 on Tue 18 Feb 2014, 12:06 am

Who 1 wrote:Spike, I'm new here, and I gotta tell ya; Allisons are my favorite engines ! Jim Lytle built a '34 Ford 2 door sedan with an Allison in '66 !

beautiful !!!!!
Thank you mate
SPIKE426
I should be working on Models
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 228
Registration date : 2011-08-25

Back to top Go down

Re: BIG AL'S

Post by Who 1 on Wed 19 Feb 2014, 10:23 am

Spike, the Big Al that Jim built is my avatar !!!! Very Happy here are the specs on Big Al...I hope it helps you !

Specifications (V-1710-F30R)

General characteristicsType: 12-cylinder supercharged liquid-cooled 60° "Vee" piston aircraft engine

Bore: 5.5 in (139.7 mm)

Stroke: 6.0 in (152.4 mm)

Displacement: 1,710 cu in (28 L)

Length: 85.81 in (2,180 mm)

Width: 29.28 in (744 mm)

Height: 37.65 in (958 mm)

Dry weight: 1,395 lb (633.5 kg)

ComponentsValvetrain: Two intake and two exhaust valves per cylinder with sodium-cooled exhaust valves, operated by a single gear-driven overhead camshaft per each bank of cylinders

Supercharger: Centrifugal-type, single-stage, 15-vane impeller, 10.25 in (260 mm) diameter

Fuel system: Bendix Stromberg carburetor with automatic mixture control

Fuel type: 100 octane

Oil system: Dry sump with one pressure and two scavenge pumps.

Cooling system: Liquid-cooled with a mixture of 70% water and 30% ethylene glycol, pressurized.

PerformancePower output: 1,475 hp (1,100 kW) at 3,000 rpm

Specific power: 0.86 hp/cu in (39.3 kW/L)

Compression ratio: 6.65:1

Power-to-weight ratio: 1.05 hp/lb (1.76 kW/kg) in an airplane...

Improvements in manufacturing brought the cost to produce each engine from $25,000 down to $8,500, and that was in 1936!

Small accounting for the engines

4 x 1475 hp = 5900hp (4338 kW)

4 x 633.5 kg = 2534 kg (5580 lb)

In addition there are the chassis, the body, the powertrain, suspension, wheels, fuel tank, and even the small stuff.

No idea what that weighs...

Unlimited hydroplane racing also became a big sport across the U.S. at this time and V-1710s were often tuned for racing at up to 4,000 hp (3,000 kW)!

Then, the story looks very different...

The big Al

Would you believe 12,000 horsepower — and 9000 pounds?

Power-to-weight ratio: 1,33hp/lb (2,66hp/kg)?

Is that a lot?

Somehow you expect a lot more if you see something so enormous, right?

Top fuel dragster with 8000hp, engine weight ca.280kg

Power-to-weight ratio:14hp/lb (28hp/kg)!

Power-to-weight (specific power) ratio formula for an engine (power plant) is the power generated by the engine divided by weight of the engine.

A typical turbocharged V8 diesel engine might have an engine power of 330 horsepower (250 kW) and a weight of 835 pounds (379 kg), giving it a power-to-weight ratio of 0.65 kW/kg (0.40 hp/lb).

Examples of high power-to-weight ratios can often be found in turbines.

This is because of their ability to operate at very high speeds.

For example, the Space Shuttle's main engines use turbopumps (machines consisting of a pump driven by a turbine engine) to feed the propellants (liquid oxygen and liquid hydrogen) into the engine's combustion chamber.

The original liquid hydrogen turbopump is similar in size to an automobile engine (weighing approximately 775 pounds (352 kg)) and produces 72,000 hp (53.6 MW) for a power-to-weight ratio of 153 kW/kg (93 hp/lb)!

The power-to-weight ratio is typically calculated from power and mass, although mass is usually measured as weight on a calibrated weighing scale.

Values are then expressed in units power per unit force exerted on unit mass in standard gravity.

Use of kg (kilogram) and lb (pound) rather than kgf (kilogram-force), SI unit N (Newton) or lbf (pound-force) is common.

The value thus expressed is the power-to-mass ratio and not the power-to-weight ratio.

The actual useful power of any traction engine can be calculated using a dynamometer to measure torque and rotational speed, with peak power sustained when transmission and/or operator keeps the product of torque and rotational speed maximised.

For jet engines there is often a cruise speed and power can be usefully calculated there, for rockets there is typically no cruise speed, so it is less meaningful.

Peak power of a traction engine occurs at a rotational speed higher than the speed when torque is maximised and below the maximum rated rotational speed - Max RPM.

A rapidly falling torque curve would correspond with sharp torque and power curve peaks around their maxima at similar rotational speed, for example a small, lightweight engine with a large turbocharger.

A slowing falling or near flat torque curve would correspond with a slowly rising power curve up to a maximum at a rotational speed close to Max RPM, for example a large, heavy multi-cylinder engine suitable for cargo/hauling.

A falling torque curve could correspond with a near flat power curve across rotational speeds for smooth handling at different vehicle speeds.

The Allison- powered Quad Al was Jim Lytle's 1965 successor to Big Als I and II, his famous pair of chopped-top '34 Fords...

...the Allison-powered Quad Al, never ran...

In 1965, you could buy Allisons all day long for 50 to 150 bucks, the last one was built in 1947, and the airplane guys have scooped them all up.

They’re getting 40 grand for a used, 60-year-old engine — and Quad Al needs four of those things...

Long read, hopefully not too boring...

Who 1
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2014-02-13

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum