AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Revell 69 Nova SS

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Revell 69 Nova SS

Post by BluBlood on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 10:22 pm

I'm starting this thread in anticipation of my first build in around 18 years!
I have the Revell 69 Nova SS 2 in 1 kit.
My plans for this build are going to be along the lines of my personal taste of old school muscle, dropped on it's guts with big aftermarket wheels.

Currently I have the kit;

along with a set of Aoshima Varianza F2S 20's (albeit in 1:24 format).

Not sure if I'll use these or the convo's that ship with the kit. Other parts to come include a 5" monster tacho, fire extinguisher, Pro Ratchet shifter, flocking and maybe a fully plumbed NOS kit.

Paint will probably be in the form of a rattle can for now, I'm thinking white with the F2s's blacked out with the chrome lip. Plumbed engine bay, lowered suspension as well as a few other bits and pieces. Hopefully I can get started on mocking up the ride height (or lack of!) this long weekend.

I've built a few oob kits before, but never really got into any custom mods. I did however work in the plastic manufacturing field for a few years, so hopefully that can help me out when it comes to taking a knife to a brand new kit!

I'm sure a few of you can help me out along the way as this will be my first build in a while. No doubt I'll have a tonne of questions, particularly when I start having to make mods to the kit to fit the larger wheels in the arches when it's dropped into the weeds. I'm also thinking about cutting out the firewall and replacing it with a smoothed out firewall for a neater engine bay.

Thanks for watching, Cheers!
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 30
Registration date : 2013-05-27

Back to top Go down

Re: Revell 69 Nova SS

Post by DeeCee on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:14 pm

Sounds like a perfect plan mate, just make sure you put in the work on getting it LOW!!, It can be a hassle sometimes, but if you raise your rear wheel arches and move them inboard, maybe narrow the front wheels on the backs a bit, it WILL work. If you look at my pro touring challenger build, it will give you a few ideas as to how to get it low enough mate. Any prob's , just ask, somebody will be willing to help out.
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3756
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Fri 07 Jun 2013, 11:27 pm

Thanks mate, I've read so many workshop builds that I have a fairly good idea of how I'm going to tackle things. My only question is what is the best product to use to replace the arches? Also what is best to use as a filler?

And for what it's worth, I've already read your build with the Challenger, that thing is nasty in the best possible way!
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 10:55 am

Keep the original arches, just cut them out, move them into the chassis rail, mount them a little higher and fill the gap with some plastic rod ( hobby shop has many sizes). I use modelers white putty for the initial fill, then automotive spray putty, which i use un-thinned and brush it on , sands real easy, then spray putty from a can, then automotive undercoat before paint. Seems to work for me anyway mate. (and thanks for the compliments too.)
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 1:49 pm

bigthumbsup
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Jade043 on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 3:20 pm

sounds like your going to build one badass nova. I finished doing a 66 nova not long ago I wanted it slammed into the weeds to but rushed it abit and had a hell of a time getting the front wheels just to sit in the arc's in the end it didn't sit any where as low as I liked. DeeCee knows what he's talking about I should have asked for his advice first before I did mine haha. Anyway look forward to when your finished should look awesome
Jade043
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 549
Registration date : 2013-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Sat 08 Jun 2013, 6:43 pm

Thanks mate. I do remember having a read of your build thread. Similar style to what I'll be going for. I'm not planning to get it done in a weekend, so hopefully I'll just take my time and (try to) get it right the first time. Not really painting weather at the moment anyway, so I'll just concentrate on mocking and cleaning things up. From what I've read and seen on youtube, these 69 Nova 2in1 kits are supposed to be pretty decent.

I've still got a few bits and pieces to come. My next step will be to start a new collection of paint.

Hopefully I can get some time tomorrow to start to have a play around.
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat on Sun 09 Jun 2013, 11:46 am

Check the petrol tank on your chassis.
Some of the first production run of this kit had the tank moulded backwards on the chassis.
It doesn't affect assembly in any way but will be picked up by the rivet counters especially as they will know to look for it.
It's easy enough to fix if you want to (just cut it off and glue it back on the other way round) or you could just leave it as it is as it doesn't really matter anyway.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6817
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:05 pm

No progress on a start on this yet unfortunately.
I did however pull a few bits and pieces out for a quick look.
I had a quick mock-up of how I want this to sit though, and settled on the 20's over the Welds in the kit.

Looks like there's going to be a fair bit of work involved dropping it into the weeds.

The back shouldn't be to bad as the Aoshimas seem to fit in the wells easily enough albeit apart from the width.

The front however will need more work as there's a fair bit less room to play with. In the photo below the rubber is pretty much hard up in the wheel well and I'd like to go a couple mm's lower still.

Hopefully this weekend I can get some play time and start some glue sniffing on the block.

I was thinking of white or silver for paint with the wheels blacked out, but I have my eyes on a couple of late model Ford colours that tickle my fancy too - but that's a long way down the track yet!

Are you guys using dremels to cut 'n' chop, or is there another trick to the trade?
And what paint would you recommend to brush parts? I was just going to go with Tamiya stuff.

BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 6:13 pm

zenrat wrote:Check the petrol tank on your chassis.
Tank looks good mate! bigthumbsup
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by checkmate on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 8:07 pm

I've got one of these to so it'll be good to watch yours come together.

I'll have to check my kits tank now......

Male Number of posts : 2573
Registration date : 2008-04-16

http://www.majesticvanners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Tue 11 Jun 2013, 9:29 pm

Well the Mrs sat down to watch "The Block" so that was my queue to crack some glue! Didn't do much, got the two block/trans halves together, heads on, water pump on and the diff together.

Not much more I can do until I get some paint or start cutting up the chassis.
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 10:56 am

Looks tuff so far.
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2457
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat on Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:19 pm

checkmate wrote:I've got one of these to so it'll be good to watch yours come together.

I'll have to check my kits tank now......

Good. I'll have you counting rivets next Twisted Evil

Revell modified the mould pretty quickly so it's only the first production run that are affected.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 9:16 pm

Finally had some spare time to get into this build. I decided to start with the rear end first. My first challenge is to get the larger wheels to sit in the wheel wells at the ride height I want.

Kind of went into this blind being my first modded build. Rather than cut the whole wheel arch out, I cut a section of the inner well out, as this is where the wheel was fouling. I also cut the rear of the well at the chassis so I can raise it another 3 or 4mm to get the back end nice and low.

The chassis rail was also in the way and I thought about cutting that out too and scratch building them moving them inward a couple of mm. I ended up filing them down a little to start (thanks to the Mrs. electric nail thinga-ma-jig), and gained enough clearance. Think I'll leave it like this for now, you can still make out what it is, and I think by the time the suspension and exhaust is in, it won't be too big of a deal.

My next dilemma upon a quick mock-up were the leaf springs. The wider wheels are preventing me from getting the rubber in without it looking like a dropped VT Commodore running 20º of camber! The diff will also need to be shortened.

I guess I could move the springs in a couple of mm, not sure. If I do, they will sit right next to the petrol tank. Other option I guess is to narrow the wheels - I'd like to keep them as is though.

This is about the ride height I'm going for in the rear, maybe 1-2mm lower again once the wheel well is fixed into place.

Any suggestions, tips, advice, comments or criticism welcomed!

Last edited by BluBlood on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:04 pm

Remount the springs inside the chassis rails.  Doesn't matter if they are next to the fuel tank.
Also, if need be (how realistic do you want it to be?) "C notch" the chassis rails above the axle for clearance at full compression.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Mon 24 Jun 2013, 10:21 pm

Yeah mate, I'll see how it goes when I throw the lowering blocks in. Still not happy with the idea of the springs sitting right next to the tank. I guess I could cut the tank out and take a few mm out of the guts of it to give the springs a little breathing space.

Never thought to notch the rails, that will be easy enough to do.

Thanks
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 8:27 am

Your heading in the right dirrection mate, it's all trial and error doing this stuff. ,you could go with Zenrats idea of c' notching, or like you said, remove and narrow the fuel tank, which ever you can be bothered doing is what it comes down too in the end mate, but good job so far i reckon. bigthumbsup
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 12:27 pm

Or, scratch build a coil sprung set up (or rob one from another kit  - like a '70 Monte Carlo).

Or just glue the wheels inside the rear tubs, forget the axle and never show anyone the underneath...

All options have their merits and in the end it's your build and we are not JMNs here.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat

Back to top Go down

Post by aussie muscle on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 3:40 pm

looking good so far

Are you guys using dremels to cut 'n' chop, or is there another trick to the trade?
And what paint would you recommend to brush parts? I was just going to go with Tamiya stuff.

I only use a dremel for heavy cuts. for finer work, such as cutting off the roof, i use a more precise jeweler's saw.
for paintbrushes, try and get SABLE (aka horse hair), get a size zero (0) for fine detail work and a bigger size for larger jobs. Always, after cleaning the paint off with thinners or turps, wash it in water to get the chemical off it as well, give it a twirl and let it air dry.
aussie muscle
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 867
Registration date : 2011-06-06

http://s1307.photobucket.com/user/aussiemuscle308/library/Model%

Back to top Go down

Post by BluBlood on Tue 25 Jun 2013, 4:47 pm

zenrat wrote:Or, scratch build a coil sprung set up.
I thought about this or a 4 link rear end. I'll have another look a come up with a plan of attack.

zenrat wrote:Or just glue the wheels inside the rear tubs, forget the axle and never show anyone the underneath.
I couldn't do this, it would bug me to tears.

aussie muscle wrote:I only use a dremel for heavy cuts. for finer work, such as cutting off the roof, i use a more precise jeweler's saw.
for paintbrushes, try and get SABLE (aka horse hair), get a size zero (0) for fine detail work and a bigger size for larger jobs. Always, after cleaning the paint off with thinners or turps, wash it in water to get the chemical off it as well, give it a twirl and let it air dry.
Thanks mate, I already bought a Tamiya HF set of brushes that should be good enough for now.
I have to get to the local hobby shop this weekend and see if he stocks any styrene sheet, rod and filler to start getting things back together - otherwise it's off to eBay.

I'd like to try and get on top of the rear end this weekend so I can get a start on the front end.

Thanks for the positive comments guys. bigthumbsup
BluBlood
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top