AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

AMT '36 Ford Roadster Kustom - Update 4-2 Paint

View previous topic View next topic Go down

AMT '36 Ford Roadster Kustom - Update 4-2 Paint

Post by Bernard Kron on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:35 am

Now that Round 2 has released what amounts to the definitive re-issue of the AMT 36 Ford 3-in-1 kit itís time for me to use up all the parts and kits Iíve gathered up to try to duplicate the original issue. Besides, Ed Fluck at Drag City Castings has just released a hot new set of louvered pieces for the kit that I canít resist using. So hereís my latest project, a pre-war style customized í36 Ford Roadster made from various AMT Ď36ís in my stash.

The pictures below are of the car with all the ďbasicsĒ done but slapped together in pure mockup form using temporary adhesives. Lots of body cleanup and fitment to be done but it confirms the look Iím after.

The main body is from an AMT 5-window coupe because the 5 windows have the shorter door found on the roadster. A flaw in the original AMT 3-window/roadster kit was that they engraved the longer 3-window door in the body to match the 3-window roof. Rather than fill and engrave a new door line itís easier to use the 5-window body if youíve got one.

The chassis has been lowered front and rear to the maximum by shaving the front spring and crossmember and hogging out the rear crossmember to shove the rear spring up as far as it will go. I plan to use the kit flathead with some hop up parts from the AMT í34 Ford 5-window.

One set of parts I was never able to gather up from the original issue í36 3-window was the rear fender skirts, so I made my own. I used the kit custom grill shell and filled it with a í40 Ford Deluxe grill as suggested by George Barris himself in the original release. The windshield has been chopped 3 scale inches.

The interior will be largely stock with two major changes. First of all I made large rolled bolsters which fit across the back and the front seating area of the stock seats. Secondly, I made a filler panel to cover the package tray. There is a comparison picture below showing the car with either the stock convertible boot or the fill panel viewed from different angles. I havenít decided which to use, but the car will be shown as an open roadster. I wonít be making a Carson top.

The flipper caps on the front are from the AMT í40 Ford sedan delivery. The tires are from my parts box and are of unknown origin.

The final major customizing touch is the louvered deck and hood as mastered by Plowboy (Roger Hayes) and re-popped by Drag City. In order to establish some continuity across the rear deck along with the louvers I made a recessed license plate area which will have a molded clear plastic cover. I havenít decided on bumpers as yet. Iím thinking the ribbed DeSoto bumpers that come in the í40 Sedan delivery kit to go with the prewar Kustom vibe of this thing, but I may go with post-war items with bumper guards, depending on what I decide for taillights.

Color is up in the air but Iím thinking a lighter shade with a white or light tan interior. Even though †the basic look is dialed in thereís still a lot left to do.

Thanx for lookiní,
B.

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 10:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 373
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: AMT '36 Ford Roadster Kustom - Update 4-2 Paint

Post by blatdriver on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 8:58 am

It should look good when done
blatdriver
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1550
Registration date : 2011-04-22

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 9:16 am

Your on the right track i think Bernard, will look very cool when done mate.
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3756
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 2:01 pm

Looks neat so far. Love "Westergard" style cars
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2457
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 3:20 pm

That's one cool looking roadster in the making.
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 9492
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by 70cudatj on Thu 27 Mar 2014, 10:04 pm

Lookin cool Bern †bigthumbsup
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2049
Registration date : 2012-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron on Thu 03 Apr 2014, 10:33 am

Thanx!

Paint is completed. The main body color is Duplicolor Naples Gold Metallic over white primer. Interior colors are Duplicolor Wimbledon White with Testors Acryl Tan bolsters and trim. Iíve decided to go with the convertible top cover since it emphasizes the Deco era lines more. The cover and the running boards are also finished in Wimbledon White. In the front ĺ views youíll notice a small strip of molding above the grill. This will be foiled. The car will have a stock hood ornament and the molding will continue the line between the ornament and the center strip in the grill. This will draw the eye downwards and help fill an otherwise vacant space. It turns out the coupe version of this kit is a pretty close copy of George Barrisí personal Ď Ford Ėwindow he completed in 1941 while he and his brother Same were learning the trade working under Harry Westergard. The grill panel is from that car and George also used a í41 Ford grill and added a molding in that space for the same reason.

Thereís still a motor to build and then foiling and final assembly.

Thanx for lookiní,
B.

Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 11:39 am

More progress has been made. The interior and motor have been completed and are shown below. Both are based on the AMT kit parts. The interior has a scratch built dashboard using a photo-etch Auburn instrument panel from Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland. The motor uses finned heads and a twin-carb manifold from the AMT í34 Ford 5-window kit. I have finished up other details which arenít shown in the pictures. The bumpers will be ribbed 37 DeSoto pieces from the AMT Sedan Delivery kit. I also think I may have found a way to adapt the DuVall windshield from the AMT Phantom Vicky to the cowl without damaging the paint or doing any bodywork. I hope to have this done by early next week.

Thanx for lookiní,
B.

Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat on Thu 10 Apr 2014, 1:58 pm

Looking good B.

Badda Bing Badda Bang