AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

F Model Mack

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: F Model Mack

Post by Deaf as on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 4:56 pm

Got the tubes for the aircleaners on. Little tricky getting everything square. Superglue was drying too quick on the resin and Araldite not quick enough to hold it. All the resin up high on the evergreen frame makes it move and flex a little but hopefully by the time the exhaust goes on, that will help stiffen it up. Still have to put a couple of small air tanks on and work out where the hydraulic oil tank will go. Was going to mount a small one between the cab and body but think the pipe work to the engine will be in the way so probably under the body. I wasn't going to open up the lockers on the body but I might have to so some of the detail can be seen. Was going to open them on the Bro wrecker body when I get around to that one.

Engine just about ready for priming. Still to make upa pto pump and put it on. Engine colour is a little confusing. This engine doesn't look like a Mack engine but does  look a little like the NH Cummins engine that they could apparently be specced with. The KFS instructions don't offer much help but an article KFS did in Model truck world magazine says that the NH was a non turbo engine but the kit has pipework that is connected to a turbo!? Either way, mine has the turbo on it so the question becomes what colour to paint the engine, Cummins beige or black or is there another option??? My research on the net has shown examples of all of the above but I must admit to not being able to identify a lot of the engines so that may have a bearing on it all. Appreciate any thoughts you guys may have on it. Thanks.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1119
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Sat 03 Sep 2016, 5:23 pm

More nice work Tim, there is some nice detail on that frame.
The engine looks like an NH Cummins to me, it has the same detail on the block and everything is in the right place to be one, but I'm no expert with diesel motors either.
bigthumbsup bigthumbsup
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 888
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 7:44 am

In hindsight, the engine from the old cabover Freightliner might be pretty close, at least it is closer to the right time period but I'll stick with this one now as all the transkit pipework will fit.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 12:07 pm

Getting there with it.
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 9530
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 8:23 pm

Primer on and engine sat in place. Added a couple of air tanks added. PTO pump also on but can't be seen. Going to mount a small hydraulic tank in the wrecker body so it can be seen.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Sun 04 Sep 2016, 9:56 pm

Cool work.....
Still popcorn
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Sun 11 Sep 2016, 8:02 pm

Wet day Saturday here so I managed to get a bit of painting done. The photo doesn't show it very well but the chassis is actually a chocolate brown colour as are the hubs. Discovered a few things that I haven't done yet so will catch up on that before the top coat. I'll put more pics up once the detail starts to come on.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Wed 14 Sep 2016, 8:44 pm

Starting to get a few bits together and no that's not a UFO.

I've used the old hard plastic italeri tyres on the back axle. The engine wash given a light wash but not much detail. The cab isn't designed to tilt and the transkit  radiator is pretty plain so I don't think I'll worry. The cab actually sits on top of the radiator so there is no header tank detail.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 2:25 pm

bigthumbsup
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 5:42 pm

Got a bit more done.

Used the two part chrome nail polish on the engine pipes as a bit of a trial. Came up pretty well considering I used the brush from the polish bottle. Stands up to handling a treat. The twin aircleaner pipe from the bottom of the filters wasn't a great fit. The rounded shape on the black elbow needed a fair bit of sanding to get it to fit  but that lifted the pipe too high so the other end didn't line up with the pipe from the turbo so I settled for the middle ground.

Yep, it sure is a lot of brown but this is a test fit to see where it all lines up so I can mask out for the stripe.

The exhaust heat shield on this was very nice. Finer than the usual ones from KFS which seemed to make it easier to roll into shape. The gantry behind the cab is a real fiddle however. it's made from pretty thin plastic for scale realism but moves and flexes once the resin air cleaners are added and the slightest pressure fitting the engine pipes pushes it all slightly out of alignment. next time I think I'd use metal rod for the stays and maybe some brass strip or even angle on the uprights. Hollow air cleaners would help.Even the weight of the resin exhaust added a very light lean forward.Rolling Eyes
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Tue 20 Sep 2016, 7:14 pm

Looking good, Is the cab sitting a bit to high?
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Wed 21 Sep 2016, 9:49 am

Al, I'm not sure. It looks like a big reach up to the door handle but the cab is sitting on the mounts correctly and they line up with everything else so I can only presume this is correct.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Thu 22 Sep 2016, 7:07 am

Might have to put a step or two on it.
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 6:30 pm

getting there with the stripes and pinstripes. Not the excat colour I was going to use, wanted to go more of a champagne type colour but wasn't to be. same with the pinstripe. Didn't have enough in mid blue or cream/buff so went with the dark blue and yellow.

When I have the cab done I'll work out what i am doing for a name on the door etc. Still have to clean the body up after decaling.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Mon 26 Sep 2016, 10:10 pm

Looks great Tim.
Tell me though, those pinstripes, are they all decals? And if so do you print them out yourself?
popcorn popcorn
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 8:15 am

The second colour with the pinstrips look great on it. A+
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by RetrospectKustoms on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 3:22 pm

Wow, how good is this looking! Nice work.
RetrospectKustoms
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2464
Registration date : 2011-12-14

Back to top Go down

Post by 70cudatj on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 6:39 pm

That is real nice twothumbsup
70cudatj
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 2049
Registration date : 2012-04-09

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 6:57 pm

Thanks for the comments gents. The blue and yellow are all decals. I use the sheets from KFS/Auslowe. Unfortunately I don't have the computer smarts or time to do my own decals. I don't mind doing the decals when they are good but as we all know it's a PITA when the decals are rubbish. The fiddle is cutting the masking for the gold section so that it matches the curves on the decal sheet. Cab is coming along slowly.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Tue 27 Sep 2016, 9:42 pm

Cool, Thanks Tim.
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Drew 1979 on Wed 28 Sep 2016, 12:03 pm

looking cool Deaf as Magnifico

Drew 1979
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2016-09-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Fri 30 Sep 2016, 6:08 pm

Cab decals done. Small balls up on the cab, thought I had it all good but on the last page in the KFS instructions was a step to put a photo etch grill on the small left hand panel on the front. I haven't got any of either pistripe left so I decided that I could live without it. Still have to put the centre divider for the windscreen in. The signs on the doors are from old decal sheets I've had for ages. Tried to make it look a bit old school sort of fancy/tacky. The transkit also comes with decals to represent chequer plate protectors that go on the guard below the door as scuff plates but they didn't look right so I've left them of but might use a piece of fine wet & dry to do the same thing. As usual I just used floor polish to seal the decals. Didn't sand/polish the paint before hand.

The transkit interior is a really nice item. Nicely cast, nice white metal and photo etch bits. Cries out for the door to be cut out ans posed open but didn't have the nads for it without trying it on a plastic kit first. I swapped out the seats for a couple that had the Mack bulldog logo moulded on, from  DM800? Used some scrap plastic to put backs in the seats and just gave it a coat of dull coat to seal the decals. Couldn't find info on definitive colour schemes so ran with the law of averages and just did what I liked. Onto painting cab interior and starting to assemble the tow gear.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 4:51 pm

Dead line for the Wagga show is getting close. This has decided to fight back on occasion with things taking longer and being harder than they should but that's part of it I suppose.

First time I've ever used a vac formed windscreen, took for ever to trim up to fit. The casting had a few small up and downs behind the cast in screen rubber which meant file and fit, file and fit. It was a case of 1 extra swipe with the file could be too much and the screen not fit. This happened with the side windows so I made them open. The photo etch quarter window frames could have been either a touch bigger or smaller, they were a real pain to get to sit nicely. The small steps in the guard look like they could be damaged in real life but this is supposedly how they are. The grab handles are from the spares box.

The side blinkers are white metal which i sanded up and used the clear orange paint over. It's make your own mirror arms too. I cocked this up a couple of times, finally got something I was reasonably happy with and then put the mirror heads on the wrong sides. Apparently the dogs should face in not out but the internet shows both. Still have the rear tow/underplate to put on and wire in the main boom. Tried some different metallic finishes on the plate but it didn't come up as I'd hoped so will give it a bit of weathering.
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 5:28 pm

Jezz thats looking good so far.
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Sun 16 Oct 2016, 9:22 pm

Looks great Tim. It's coming on just nicely.
Interior is terrific, paint & decals are ace, I like it heaps.
Good luck at Wagga too.
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next