AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

Rat Rod for NNL West 2016 - Update 2-27

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rat Rod for NNL West 2016 - Update 2-27

Post by Bernard Kron on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 12:29 pm

The NNL West, in Santa Clara, California, and the largest model car show in the USA, this year is on March 12th. One of the two theme tables will feature Rat Rods. That means this project needs to be completed within the next 4 weeks, so I’m trying to keep it simple. Of course almost everything about it is either kit bashed or scratch built, but much of the more challenging stuff has already progressed a bit so I think I’ve got a shot at it. Anyway, it’s virtually a tradition with me to have a last minute thrash to get something done for the NNL West each year.

The basis for the build is the modified Ala Kart body included in the later series re-issues of the AMT ’29 Ford Model A roadster kits. This body lacks the hump in the middle of the cowl included in the genuine Ala Kart shell, so it can pass for a kind of cross between a Model A RPU and a T-bucket. I suspect this will be the shell you’ll find in the upcoming Mod Rod re-release from Round 2, as well. I’ll use the Ala Kart windshield and dashboard, too. This is the kit I got the parts from:

The only other source kit used to any degree is the AMT ’34 Ford 5-window coupe kit, which provided the Kelsey Hayes style wire wheels and the skinny front tires, as well as the rear axle. The rear tires are from the Revell ‘40 Ford Standard kit, adapted to fit the AMT wires. The front axle is from a Monogram ’37 Ford Panel Delivery Van, heated at both ends to create a dropped axle. Otherwise most all the other parts will come from the proverbial parts box, which is to say their origin remains somewhat vague. This includes the rear cross member and buggy spring and the eventual motor for the car which will be a nearly stock small block Chevy with plain stock valve covers, a single four barrel carb and basic air filter, with only a set of resin lakes-style exhausts sourced off of eBay, to hint at any hop up.

The door decals are homemade and the white lettering was achieved by printing to white decal paper on a purple background to match the purple Krylon paint on the body shell. The main body was weathered using weathering powders and Testors DullCote.

The chassis is scratch built with an AMT Ala Kart cross member and ’29 Ford rear cross member. I scratch built a gas tank out of styrene stock sanded to shape. The back of the tank is curved to conform to the shape of the main body. It will be painted body color with weathered chrome straps across the ends and towards the middle. The wheels and frame will most likely be finished in weathered matte metallic rust red.

Below are pictures of where I’m at so far. Updates should come thick and fast since time is tight.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Last edited by Bernard Kron on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 1:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bernard Kron
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 383
Registration date : 2013-08-18

Back to top Go down

Re: Rat Rod for NNL West 2016 - Update 2-27

Post by Carps on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 2:59 pm

Lookin good so far Bern.
Carps
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3087
Registration date : 2008-03-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Tue 16 Feb 2016, 7:52 pm

Nice concept, this'll look cool I reckon.
What's the story behind the "Hippie-eye Chop Shop" name?
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 888
Registration date : 2013-02-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 12:58 pm

Thanks guys! I just finished a weathering test on some scrap plastic for the red chassis and wheels and it went OK so I hope to post pics of those bits in the next few days.

Antwon wrote:...What's the story behind the "Hippie-eye Chop Shop" name?

Actually, there's nothing behind it. I wanted to use the crossed pistons and then it occurred to me to include the All-Seeing Eye in the graphics. I had originally wanted to use the Indian Hamsa hand and eye symbol but when I tried it, it was just too creepy, just too hippy-dippy I thought. That's when the phrase Hippie-Eye came to mind and I thought about the old Masonic All Seeing Eye symbol, like the one on the U.S. dollar. When I was able to find a nice crisp clip art drawing to go with the pistons I had found, the name just fell into place. Chop Shop is because I wanted to use the old Ed Roth "Genuine Stolen Parts" logo... Last night it occurred to me that I never considered the Von Dutch Flaming Eyeball, but I didn't and I don't think it would have leant itself to such a clean and simple graphic.

The Hamsa symbol I rejected and the Eye of Providence on the U.S. dollar bill::

Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Wed 17 Feb 2016, 10:33 pm

OK, that's cool.
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron on Tue 23 Feb 2016, 3:16 am

The clock is ticking for NNL West but progress is being made. Most major parts constructed so far have been painted and weathered. The motor is built except for some small details like ignition and fuel system. The chassis was finished in Testors Gloss Custom Red Metalflake enamel and then weathered with Testors Dullcote and rust and dirt weathering powders. The fuel tank was finished in the same manner as the body, using the salting technique over red primer, then a coat of Krylon Gumdrop purple and Testors DullCote followed by weathering powders. The motor came from my parts box. It is a largely stock Chevy small block finished in Chevy Engine Orange. The 4-barrel carb is from a Revell Deuce kit, the air cleaner from my parts box and the headers are resin items purchased from the eBay Sci Fi Movie Props. They are very high quality and were delivered quickly. Highly recommended. I drilled out the ends and finished the headers in Krylon Premium Chrome, then gave them the Dullcote and weathering powder treatment. I used this technique on all “plated” parts, first stripping any kit chrome where there was some. The firewall, windshield and dash are Ala Kart pieces from the AMT ’29 Ford donor kit. The firewall was finished to match the frame and the windshield and dash received the same weathered chrome finish as the headers. The wheels were finished in the same manner as the frame and the tires weathered along with the wheels.

The major work left to do consists of completing and installing the suspension, wiring, detailing and installing the motor, chopping, painting and installing a ’32 Ford Grill, fabricating an interior and adding lights. So, still quite a bit to do but I think I have a shot at making my self-imposed deadline.

Thanks for lookin’,
B.

Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 1:23 pm

I’m on the home stretch! I got the chassis completed including the suspension, drivetrain and the radiator and grill. I made a bench seat for the interior and a bare metal floor (actually styrene sheet finished in Metalizers, steel for the undercarriage side and gunmetal for the interior side). The seat was made from styrene quarter round and styrene corrugated siding sheet. The seat is finished in Testors British Crimson and weathered to look like distressed leather. The grille shell is cut down to about half size and comes from an AMT Phantom Vicky kit. All that’s left is the lighting system, a steering wheel and the steering linkage, some windshield glass and a shift lever. I should have final assembly done sometime this week. I think this car will actually make it to the NNL West.

Thanx for lookin’,
B.

Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by Antwon on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 5:47 pm

Great stuff Bern, I do like your weathering techniques. I have to say I'm partial to a good Rat rod. The red '32 wheels look great as well, I just wish the kit manufacturers would make them with a little more accurate spoke pattern.
Anyway nice build and Good luck at the NNLs.
bigthumbsup bigthumbsup
Antwon
I Love this place
I Love this place

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Sun 28 Feb 2016, 6:19 pm

Awesome job! bowdown
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1109
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bernard Kron on Mon 29 Feb 2016, 2:36 am

Thanx!

Antwon, those are actually from the AMT '34 Ford 5-window and they're much narrower and taller than the kind you see in the AMT '32's. The kind we all want are the Kelsey Hayes style and Revell really blew it in their Deuce sedan when they made widened ones for modern tires in their sedan version. Grrrr..... Someone should repop the AMT ones in the aftermarket (or I should learn to cast my own...). Replicas & Miniatures Co. of Maryland make a beautiful set but they are very expensive ($34USD).
Bernard Kron

Back to top Go down

Post by vcv8273 on Tue 01 Mar 2016, 1:34 am

Nice build so far, looking forward to more updates
vcv8273

Male Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Post by ozmodeler on Wed 02 Mar 2016, 6:59 pm

I like what your doing with this build Bernard. It's good to have a target like NNL to thrash for.
ozmodeler

Male Number of posts : 219
Registration date : 2012-04-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top