AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

1950's Aussie Outback Pub WIP

View previous topic View next topic Go down

1950's Aussie Outback Pub WIP

Post by davoski on Mon 10 Apr 2017, 1:00 pm

Hi guys,

My Pub diorama is well underway, the building is almost finished and I am about to start the vehicles.

It is meant to represent a typical small town country pub in the late fifties or early sixties, maybe Queensland or northern NSW. I guess I will decide when I do the final signage - XXXX or Tooheys! aus

The vehicles will be the Revell 41 Chevy Pickup and a resin FB or FE Holden from Dinky Di. I have never built a resin model and it is clearly different from a styrene kit so lots of learning to do.

The building is 100% scratch built with a large amount of 3D printed parts. This includes window frames and reveals; doors and frames; ridge caps, gutters and downpipes; roof trusses, gable facade and latticework; verandah post bases and collars; cast iron lacework and balustrades; poster frames; light fittings; and benches. I only had the printer for a couple of weeks before starting this so there has been a massive learning curve. I have had to teach myself basic 3D CAD to draw these items and then work out the best way to print them. I know I am a little bit sick but I have found this process fascinating and rewarding.  Rolling Eyes

Her are some progress pics up to present. More pics and descriptions are on my Facebook page:

David's Model Showcase << click here - go to Albums and See All for other projects.

This is where I am at present, working on the balustrades and lacework:

And here are some earlier progress pics:

I hope this is of some interest.

Cheers

Davoski

davoski
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Male Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2016-08-20

Back to top Go down

Re: 1950's Aussie Outback Pub WIP

Post by k1w1 on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:50 pm

Really like your Pub. Looks great. To be honest the only thing I don't like is the cast iron work on the left hand side of the balcony. I think mainly because it looks too big scale wise ?
It will be really interesting to see over the next few years how much difference 3D printers will make to our hobby. Good for you having a go at making your own components.
I am going to continue following this to see how it turns out.
k1w1
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 117
Registration date : 2013-08-13

Back to top Go down

Post by k1w1 on Wed 12 Apr 2017, 4:00 pm

I had a like at your face book page. Am now following you there also.
k1w1

Back to top Go down

Post by Deaf as on Thu 13 Apr 2017, 4:57 pm

Great work, agree on the wrought iron but better than anything I can do congrats!
Deaf as
Legend Poster
Legend Poster

Male Number of posts : 1130
Registration date : 2013-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by davoski on Fri 14 Apr 2017, 10:57 am

k1w1 wrote: To be honest the only thing I don't like is the cast iron work on the left hand side of the balcony. I think mainly because it looks too big scale wise ?
It will be really interesting to see over the next few years how much difference 3D printers will make to our hobby..

Hi Bro, choice Very Happy

Yep, I get what you are saying. It does look a little out of scale in pic 11 (not so much in pic 1 or in real life) maybe because it is very stark in unpainted form. The CAD program I have been using really struggled with the file and kept crashing when I tried to edit the curves e.g. chamfering the edges. Also, the 3D print of this file was getting close to the printers limits. There are many settings to select for speed, temperature, feed, cooling, wall and layer thickness etc etc and they can all impact each other so it takes a certain trial and error on some prints. I need more practice and a different CAD package.

I have painted one panel as a test and will give it a wash with panel line accent to try to give it more definition. If this doesn't work I will have to redraw and reprint. Stand by for pics.

You live and learn. For some people this technology is the best thing since sliced bread. For others it will be a step too far. I am the first to admit that it is not for everybody, largely because it requires some level of CAD skill and most people understandably can't get their heads around 3D CAD.

As another example, I am keen to buy a cheapie Chinese laser cutter because I don't have the patience or skill to cut things as accurately as I would like to. I can draw much better and quicker with a mouse than I can cut with a knife. Some people would say that these technologies take some of the essential skill and challenge and maybe charm from the hobby and they might be right but this is what works for me. With this gear I am prepared to have a go at stuff that I would not even consider doing by hand. That effect has to be good for the hobby I think. Very Happy

davoski
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by mgy125 on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 8:09 am

This is looking good. Interesting to see it develop further. Keep up the good work.
mgy125
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 1678
Registration date : 2010-06-24

Back to top Go down

Post by DeeCee on Sat 15 Apr 2017, 7:09 pm

That's IMPRESSIVE !!!
DeeCee
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 3763
Registration date : 2011-08-07

Back to top Go down

Post by k1w1 on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 2:00 pm

Yes it does look better in picture 1. Sorry I was not trying to be critical. Looking forward to seeing more of this.
k1w1

Back to top Go down

Post by davoski on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 2:17 pm

No offence taken Very Happy All feedback is good. I was just trying to explain where I was at with it.

I have been busy lately but hope to get back to this tomorrow. I have lots of new projects waiting to start and I am determined to finish this before I start something else. Sound familiar? Smile

davoski
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Tue 18 Apr 2017, 7:52 pm

Looks like a nice place to have a nice ice cold beer.
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 9545
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by davoski on Thu 20 Apr 2017, 2:32 pm

allan wrote:Looks like a nice place to have a nice ice cold beer.

Is there a bad place to have a nice cold beer? Very Happy

davoski
AMCC NEWBIE!
AMCC NEWBIE!

Back to top Go down

Post by allan on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:43 am

Ya found a few places over the years that had bad beer.
allan
AMCC ADDICT
AMCC ADDICT

Male Number of posts : 9545
Registration date : 2008-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Morrie on Thu 04 May 2017, 7:52 pm

Looks cool so far, love the 3d printing the hard bits, once you have the computer side worked out it would make some things a lot easier.

Are you going to do a lot of weathering a dirty it up a bit? think that's what get dio's to that more realistic level.

It must be a Sunday, the 2 people sitting out the front look pretty dressed up for a country town.. lol..
Morrie

Male Number of posts : 352
Registration date : 2014-06-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top