AUSTRALIAN AUTOMOTIVE MODEL BUILDERS

amt 1971 dodge charger update 05/04/2017

View previous topic View next topic Go down

amt 1971 dodge charger update 05/04/2017

Post by vcv8273 on Tue 25 Apr 2017, 8:04 pm

Hi been working on this one when I have been waiting on things to come together on the Dodge truck. Wasn't really happy with this kit as it didn't allow me to build the stock version only the street machine version so out came a 70 superbee pro stock floor pan. Kept the kits front chassis and modified it to fit the superbee floor pan so I could keep the engine bay looking original. Then had to shorten the rear of the chassis to fit. Plan for this build is a pro street that the whole family can enjoy, that's why I have gone for a total stock interior. Had to modify the rear section of the door trims and also the rear seat to get everything to fit nicely over the tubs, only down fall was the original floor pan had all the interior detail whereas the superbee has a separate interior floor pan which I couldn't use. Gave the body work a clean up and glued the rear apron on and used super glue to fill in the gaps and filed it down for a smooth finish. Now had to modify and trim off the original mounting of the rear bumper so now it slides in from the outside. Gave it a coat of duplicolor primer, sanded the whole thing down then gave it a few coats of duplicolor parchment rattle can. Painted the scoop, front and rear air dam in semi gloss black and thought it still looked a little plain. Found a decal from the amt 71 duster in the decal box and added it to the bonnet for that different look. Painted the interior in some plain brand rattle can paint that I got from the cheap shop and am actually surprised how well it went on and looks. The lid was of a light shade of red but came out a much deeper red thankfully. Made a start on the engine but now have to find a set of headers as the kits supplied exhaust manifolds are for a 440 not a hemi which also came with the kit. Will post updates as I go along. Cheers and thanks for looking Steve

Last edited by vcv8273 on Thu 04 May 2017, 7:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
vcv8273
I should be working on Models

Male Number of posts : 211
Registration date : 2014-09-02

Back to top Go down

Re: amt 1971 dodge charger update 05/04/2017

Post by vcv8273 on Wed 26 Apr 2017, 12:39 am

Playing around with it tonight while watching tv, mocked up the chassis with the engine in place, so I could see what I could get in header and exhaust wise. Tried a few exhaust manifolds and headers from the parts box as the charger kit is supplied with 440 headers for the hemi and have decided to use the headers from the superbee pro street kit and the exhaust from the same kit. I then cut off the rear section of exhaust and going through the exhaust parts box used a section of exhaust from the willys pro street kit. Removed the exhaust tips from the original charger kit and have pinned them to complete the exhaust. Still a lot of paint detailing to be done yet to the chassis and am building a set of coil overs for the rear end at the moment. Cheers and thanks for looking.

vcv8273

Back to top Go down

Post by micsmav on Wed 26 Apr 2017, 8:13 am

wowwee
micsmav
I Love this place
I Love this place

Male Number of posts : 881
Registration date : 2009-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by zenrat on Fri 28 Apr 2017, 6:00 pm

Groovy.

Badda Bing Badda Bang
zenrat

Male Number of posts : 6817
Registration date : 2008-07-17

Back to top Go down

Post by vcv8273 on Thu 04 May 2017, 7:24 pm

Thanks for the comments micsmav and zenrat. Thanks Dale and Dennis for your comments. Had to shelf the plan on doing my own coil overs on the rear as there just isn't enough room, made up 2 different sets and spend about 4 hours trying to get them to fit, so the coil overs I made up for it will be going into other builds. Now I will be using the kits coil overs and to make them a little bit more realistic going to run wire between the original coil to make them a bit more detailed. Apart from that have been piecing the motor together with some tac to mock it up so I can see the look of it. Had to modify a dual carb manifold to suit the single carb as I have used up all my single carb manifolds and made up a spacer plate for it as well. Found an air filter in the parts box which needs another coat of flat red for the filter and decided to keep the power steering and air con so I thinned out the original belt set up as it looked real chunky and drilled out/ removed some plastic on the power steering pulley and think it looks way better than the original look. Ended up using a set of headers from the superbee pro street kit and made up header plates for them for the looks and also for the fitment as they didn't quite reach the heads when in position. Next is all the little details plug wires, fuel regulator and all the other accessories. Cheers and thanks for looking Steve

vcv8273

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemi on Mon 15 May 2017, 3:09 pm

NICE work Steve!!!!! The added header flange makes the engine look better!!!! NICE job! Nice job on the light wrinkle on the valve covers too!
Hemi

Male Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2016-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by vcv8273 on Thu 18 May 2017, 4:42 pm

Thanks John never understood why they would supply the headers the way they do but was a simple fix and they are a little thicker than I normally would build but I also needed an extra mm or so to get them to fit between the chassis rails. You will probably notice on most of my builds I generally steer away from chrome rocker covers and chrome in general in the engine bay, not a great fan of chrome on engines, even my 1:1 273 has black wrinkle finish on the covers and air filter.
vcv8273

Back to top Go down

Post by Hemi on Thu 18 May 2017, 6:57 pm

-Welcome Steve!!!! Yeah, I often wondered that on the headers too from AMT and why they didn't include a header flange... BUT, ya did it justice no less!

No chrome? WOW thats a first, I love it both on the cars and the engine, but thats just me (I take after my Dad that way!)

I do however love the looks of the black valve covers in wrinkle finish, (I do favor that) but you knew that! Black valve covers, Aluminum heads, and magnesium intake, all LOOK great together!
Hemi

Male Number of posts : 320
Registration date : 2016-10-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top